Search This Blog

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday Straight Talk: Will Most Straight Guys Be "Heteroflexible" In The Future?

    It was my first time doing anything with a guy. Being a late bloomer, I had just 22 and had returned to my college town after a summer back home. My friend, who I will refer to as "Ryan" for privacy purposes, and I had been friends for just over a year, and, for some odd reason, there was sexual tension between us even though he identified as "straight". For all intensive purposes, he was. He had had girlfriends in the past, had a stack of "Playboys" by his bedside table, and though not a jock, he just had an aura of heterosexuality about him. That's why, even though I was a bit surprised, it was not hugely shocking when he asked if we could get intimate. Never having done anything before, I was a bit apprehensive, but I agreed to make out and go to second base (if you know what I mean). Once everything got going though, my fears lifted because it was just natural. Yes, for a straight guy, he knew how to be with a guy.
(Image Via www.lencheando.wordpress.com)
    After that night though, nothing more ever happened. We were still friends, but we just didn't mention it anymore. Well, there was that one time he wanted to do it again, but I just couldn't. He was straight, and that was that. I moved on, remained friendly, and found a boyfriend of my own that was gay. But it left me asking, was "Ryan" completely straight? The more I thought about it, the more and more I am assured that he is. It could have been an experimental phase, or he could be heteroflexible, but there was no way he was gay or bisexual.
    After all, being a twenty something in America, I know lots of guys that are "heteroflexible", and I don't ever question it. I know girls who date guys who have been with guys, have class with guys who openly discuss their "heteroflexibility", and even had a friend who explored some curiosities on a dance floor at a gay bar, and I don't consider a single one of these guys to be gay or even bisexual.  A lot of people who are older than me have issues with that, but I feel like guys who have homosexual experiences who remain a heterosexual identity are just part of the norm. I also feel like it will continue to grow (or at least be addressed more publicly) than times in the past because, let's be honest, we are sexual creatures, and straight guys experimenting with either gay guys or each other has been going on since the beginning of time.
    The only question is, will we get to a point where most straight guys will be openly "heteroflexible" and proud in the future? It's a very controversial question because it deals with sexuality that is neither black and white, but I feel like, if we get to that point, it will be a good thing. After all, the main reason that guys don't address this topic is because of the homophobia that lingers in our society, and, if we ever got to a point where most guys could be open and honest about their "heteroflexibility", it would be because homophobia would be near extinction. I feel like, with the modern gay rights movement, we are getting close to a place where homophobia is becoming extinct slowly but surely, and who could complain about that? Therefore, I think that we'll be seeing a lot more heteroflexible guys in the future.
    What do you think? Is "heteroflexibility" real? Will it become more mainstream in our society? Tell me in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment