Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2013

Recipe Day: Sweet, Simplicity Chicken and Dumplings

Flat dumplings before being rolled out. 
   This is just my opinion. Chicken and dumplings are the bomb! The southern classic is great to make this time of year when the weather is cool, and you want to give your stomach something warm to keep it happy. Many people freak out thinking that it's just too darn daunting to make. Well, have I got new for them.Chicken and dumplings are easy to make, and, surprisingly, you can get them done in a jiffy. Here's how I make them.
   First off, you're going to take some flour. How much you ask? Well, that depends on  how many dumplings you make. I usually take about six to ten heaping tablespoons of flour. Next, add about a teaspoon of salt.Then you want to take some Crisco shortening and plop that baby down into the flour. I usually use around three tablespoons full (I am saying usually because it's cooking, and you can use less or more.) Then you want to take water and put it in the dough and Crisco.
      With the water, you want to ad little and little until it has the consistency of a dough that's a little moist. This usually constitutes about half a cup. Take your hands and mix the ingredients together. Spoons are okay, but it's just not as fun.  As I said before, you want to adjust your ingredients until you get a dough that is a bit moist. Once mixed, your dumpling dough is ready. It's that simple. All you have to do is form it into a ball if you like round dumplings, or flatten the dough with a rolling pin on a floured and cut it into squares if you like slick dumplings. Personally, I like the slick dumplings, but that's the Mid-Atlantic in me. Also, rolling out the dumplings can create a small mess (see embarrassing pic above), but who gives a hoot? It's part of what makes cooking fun.
Finished product. 
        Now time for the chickens. My grandmother usually puts a chicken in the  pot around noon to get it cooked before dinner time at five, but who has the time for that? Instead, I bake my chicken in a deep pan until it's cooked all the way through, and I collect the juices from the pan. This takes about forty-five minutes and gives me more time to clean, read, or just lollygag around for a bit. After the chicken is finished cooking, I transfer the chicken and the juices into a pot and add water until it is a creamy consistency. Again, I eyeball how much water to use each time.
             Once the broth comes to a boil, you are going to drop the dumplings in and let them cook for about three minutes or until they turn into soft balls or squares of deliciousness. Now all you have to do is grab some bowls, serve up your chicken and dumplings, and you have a delicious meal on your hands. It's a great recipe for any occasion, and it will have your friends and families in awe of your culinary genius. Hope you like this recipe. Thanks for reading and happy eating.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment