Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Recap: How I Did Thanksgiving Dinner That Was Easy As Pie

Thanksgiving feast. 
    It all started around eight o' clock on Thursday morning. I got up out of bed (rather crawled slowly out of bed exhausted from working until midnight the day before) and got busy on my Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't do this alone though. I had the help of my friend K-Dub in the task of preparing my Thanksgiving day feast. I had already made the pretzel jello salad (recipe a few posts down), so that was one thing off my list.
     K-Dub started on the turkey. He took it out, took all out that nasty gunk they put in their so you'll eat it even though it's sickening, and covered it in spices, and, like that, we were done. We decided not to make a fuss about it this year because who wants to spend three days marinating a turkey in brine when we have better things to do? Our turkey didn't go off without a hitch though, as we barely found a big enough pan to contain the eighteen pounder that we had picked up at the grocery store. While he made sure the oven wouldn't be coated with a thick layer of turkey juice, I made a cheeseball and cut up a pineapple so our guests would have something to munch on until dinner was ready.
The secret yam recipe. 
       Our next big tasks were the string bean casserole and yams. K-Dub has some secret, magical yam recipe with marshmallows and pecans that he is keeping a secret from me that he made. (If I get the recipe, I'll share it with you guys). I, on the other hand, took the simpler approach and made the string bean casserole off of the back of the french fried onion box. I did, however, adjust the recipe a little bit, to suit my tastes.
         K-Dub then made the stuffing while I washed up the dishes (yes folks, do the dishes as you go. It makes the job much easier). He used boxed stuffing, but he added fresh celery, onions and a variety of spices.We then got started on the cornbread. It was a simple recipe, and it couldn't have tasted any better.
        After that, we got started on the table setting. We offset the food with some vintage orange, glass grapes we found at an antique store, and we set simple glasses around it. The result was beautiful, and we finished it all in about seven hours.Oh, and we did make a pie, but it was store bought. Who wants to waste a whole day cooking, right? After all was said and done, it was  great Thanksgiving, and I hope you all had a great on too. Below are more pics of my Thanksgiving feast. Feel free to share your Thanksgiving stories below.

Thanksgiving dinner was easy as pie. 

My French's String Bean Casserole 

The orange glass grapes really offset the food. 

Another Thanksgiving dinner shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment