Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Adventures In Gardening: Spring Cleanup And The First Blooms Of The Year

    Spring has sprung here in Oregon. Oh my gosh, it even hit like 70 today. This has sent tons of people running out to stores and nurseries to pick up potting soil and little baby plants and get to work getting their gardens ready for the spring and summer ahead of us. Seeing all the people go out and get ready for spring encouraged me to get working on my garden. Unfortunately for me, I am from the country so I made the mistake of filling my garden the first year here so there's no planting for me.
Daffodils aka hope spring is coming 
  That doesn't  mean I don't have work to do. I live near the gorge, where we get tons of heavy winds that blows leaves all over the place. So, I had the job this week of cleaning up the flower beds of millions of leaves that had fallen over the winter.Well, that's a stretch, but it was a lot. Being one of my least favorite jobs to do in the yard, I almost quit several times as I picked up leaf after leaf, loaded them into my wheelbarrow, and rolled them to my compost pile. Things weren't made easier by  my succulents, which were hidden below a whole lot of leaves. They break easily, and so I had to be even more careful pulling the leaves out from on top of them. I started at around 3 in the afternoon on Thursday and ended around seven that night. Then I went for round two doing three hours of work on Friday. By the time that was over, I needed a nap because it was pain in the butt, but somebody had to do it!
   My efforts were not without rewards though, as we got some of the first blooms of the year. All of our daffodils came up, and a single crocus showed itself. This hopefully means winter has been put to bed here in the Northwest, and it will force me not to mentally fuss about doing work in the yard. How about you? Has spring sprung in your neck of the woods? If so, what's your least favorite thing when it comes to gardening? Tell me below.

No comments:

Post a Comment